Wednesday 27 November 2013

Carers Rights Day...

Hi guys, Carers Rights day is almost upon us again, it's on Friday!

I guess, it's the right time to look back and see if, for Carers, anything has really changed!
Are we still fighting the same fight and struggling on alone or have we Carers gotten a better deal?
I really feel, that kinda depends on where you live and if your local Authority has embraced SDS (Self Directed Support) or not!
Coo and I have been lucky!
Where I live in Ayrshire, the Local Authority has been very pro-active and supportive so SDS is a reality here for over 50 families who agreed to test the water and try it on for size! The word from the Carers I've been in contact with? Well, it seems most have had a positive experience and this new way of providing care and support for both the disabled person and their family has worked well!

I've definitely found SDS a positive experience and to be totally honest, it's the most effective support Coo and I have ever had! Just the comfort in knowing help and assistance is there when we need it, not having to worry all the time about where funding will come from or even if there will be enough in the pot, has relieved a lot of pressure and stress. The flexibility that has allowed us respite breaks when things have been at their most difficult too, have made things a lot less stressful and easier to manage.

It's not so everywhere though! In fact it's really a bit of a mixed bag and that dreaded postcode lottery comes into play. On my Carers Scotland Committee team, I know Carers in Highland and in central areas, who have moved to SDS and are having a good experience too but too many Carers in other areas are still struggling on alone!

I've found the biggest strain this year has not been from the usual sources, neither health, caring nor disability - it's been from our own government and media! Just how sad is that!


The people we elected and trusted to support and care for the most vulnerable in our society have let us down! Their aggressive 'War on Welfare', their attempts to dismantle the much needed support and funding from our Welfare State system, has by far been the greatest struggle currently faced by Disabled people and their Carers!

Our Government and media seem to forget, we Carers are 'working' at least thirty-five hrs every week and we're paid £59 Carers Allowance,
(just over £1 an hour!) but we Carers save the government as much money as they'd need to fund another NHS!
Please try to remember this before you attach the horrid 'Benefits Scrounger' label!
Carers need support not scorn!

Keep faith in better days and keep strong!
(((hugs)))
Maz x

4 comments:

Ginny said...

Brilliant post hunny. My sister in law spent £60 on fish and chip lunch the other day at some Coronation street stars restaurant ! What the hell thats more than my carers allowance and she wondered why my Mum wasnt overly pleased with her.Am busy knitting and sewing all the Christmas pressies for the family whilst feeling very chilly, but Hubby is in bed a lot so cant justify turning the heating up. This government hasnt a thought for the likes of us and has no comprehension of our daily struggles. I am bitter now but still do what I can to help others. Luckily my online friends are very kind and send me crafty bits to help with my donations. Keep fighting, I am behind you all the way xx

Maz said...

Hi and thanks Jayne. I suppose it's hard for some people to understand how it really is and I guess we Carers just don't have much choice in the matter really! It's not that we want to be frugal about things, it's just that we must or we won't manage it all! I wish it were different but it is what it is so we've got to do the best we can haven't we!
I'm getting my bits together too for family pressies, I found some lovely fabric with wine-bottles and grapes - my sisters love their vino! lol so I'm happy to be pootling with my sewing machine in the next few weeks!
Keep strong my friend,
(((hugs)))
Maz x

Ginny said...

Its so good to have someone as a friend who knows exactly where I am coming from. xx

Maz said...

So very true Jayne!
(((hugs)))
Maz x