Thursday 19 September 2013

Carers and Angels with only one wing...

Hi guys, yet again this wee quote has found me...

We are each of us angels, with only one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other.
Luciano De Crescenzo

It's such a pretty verse, I think it's so apt for Carers and I guess I just find it so very comforting. What's more, I seem to come upon it when I need it for some reason...Kismet I suppose or even divine intervention!

I honestly feel, it's by working together we achieve great things and however difficult things become...there's always a way, the trick is finding it! lol

So many of my Carer friends are struggling at the moment. The Welfare Reform laws and the hated 'Bedroom Tax' are biting hard for most disabled people and their Carers and it's causing such stress and hardship for people, who are at best in an already financially precarious position. Add this additional financial burden and stress, to the impact of caring full time for a loved one with complex health needs and it doesn't take a genius to work out it's a recipe for disaster! So just why doesn't our government see it too?
I'm trying not to be cynical but it's a damning indictment that the DWP took to Twitter today, to tell us all how fair their policy really is and how it's all so very necessary but for disabled people and Carers like me, struggling at the sharp end of these law changes, it's so very damaging, difficult and soul destroying at times!
Coo's still poorly but thanks to our SDS (Self Directed Support), Looby came to keep Coo company for the day and I made it up to Edinburgh as planned, for the 'Carers Forum on Welfare Reform' .

I'm glad I went, it's interesting to see how other areas are dealing with these changes too.
Wherever we find ourselves, we need to stand up and speak out for those who can't, learn to put differences aside and work together for change!

Stay strong where you are, don't give up whatever you do!
(((hugs)))
Maz x

No comments: