Tuesday 2 September 2014

Respite, SDS and shop till you drop!

Hi guys I've had a wee time out this week!

I've been off on Respite for a few days and at my usual place...Blackpool!

I like Blackpool, it's fun and cheerful and if the weather is kind too, it's a brilliant holiday spot!
The Queen's is a lovely hotel. It's right on the prom too and the beds are comfy, the food is great and the Jacuzzi is toasty warm! lol
so...mum and I shopped till we dropped, had all number of cake eating and tea drinking sessions and generally had a...ball! Speaking of which, did you know Blackpool has the biggest glitter ball in the world? Well, they do and here it is... ta-da!

You sure need you're shades on when the sunshine catches a hold of it! lol
It's so cool though!
When we were there, the little ones were running around, chasing the reflected light - in fact everyone was having a ball! lol

Thanks to our SDS (Self Directed Support), while I was away, things at home, managed along just fine without me. Looby came to stay with Coo and keep him safe and this meant, I had a real break, with time to switch off and just go with the flow for a bit! I think that's what Carers miss the most, the spontaneity of life, being able to just get up and go and not need to plan all the contingencies and deal with the 'what if's' that come alongside disabilities and caring in general!

That's why I feel so strongly about the need for regular Respite breaks for all Carers!
It's oh so very important!

Unless you've lived this lifestyle you can only imagine the release of pressure that comes from proper Respite!
It's the difference between drowning in darkness and finding a safe harbour for a wee while!
I'm so very fortunate to have support and having been there myself, I know it's so very different for lots of other Carers still struggling on alone and it's just not good enough!

I hope the time comes where we all have the support we need!
Keep strong my friends,
(((hugs)))
Maz x

No comments: